1.12 New Start, New World?

Discussion in 'Whats Going On' started by Maginka, Jun 8, 2017.

1.12 reset?

Poll closed Jun 15, 2017.
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Maginka
    Caffeine Fix

Maginka Owner of Mineplay Owner

Jul 29, 2011
    Credits:
    Maginka
    Ladies and gentlemen,

With 1.12 now almost live on Mineplay, Ive been thinking about a world reset.

My reasons are as follows:

• A lot of claims and builds have been made by players that no longer come on
    • A few of our players decided to leave.
    • The world we are on, isn't even a 1.10 world, so things like woodland mansions do not exist.
    • The world size, compared to the number of players is Huge, and needs to be better controlled.
    • A new start, with all the new block types would be a great time to get the "project" going.
    As previously, if this goes ahead, i will be taking requests to move builds across to the new world, as long as they follow the following criteria.

• Players must be regular players
    • Builds need to be of good quality, and not just little dirt huts ect.
    • Only the surface area of builds will be moved, this is due to landscaping issues.
    • Builds would be moved in a first come first server basis.
    Now that you have read this, im sure you will have questions, and concerns.

With all the above in mind, i have created a poll to see what you guys think, however, the ultimate decision is mine.

Thanks for reading :)

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Chrydin
    Cloud_9

Chrydin Diamond Miner

Nov 19, 2015
    Credits:
    Chrydin
    Disregarding any reset issues, I'm interested if the map would be created as a 'amplifed' map type as in custom map perhaps?
    The new update with new map looks wicked. Can't wait!

3. Maginka
    Caffeine Fix

Jul 29, 2011
    Credits:
    Maginka
    I have thought about it, but, the amplified terrain, is a lag creator for many, so unlikely im afraid.

However, i will be looking for a "good" seed to implement.

4. Emily
    Pensive

Emily Somewhat Important Staff Member Server Staff

Dec 15, 2014
    Credits:
    TrophyTrophyTrophyTrophyTrophy
    EmilyC2
    soooo if it does happen, which from the looks of the poll it likely will, I have some questions.....

1. When will the new world be opened for us to start moving?
    2. How long will there be in between the new world opening and old closing?
    3. What happens if I'm away at camp the entire time all this is going on?
    4. Can you move builds in the ocean like guardian grinders and stuff?

5. bnwilliams
    Surrender

bnwilliams ♋Mineplay's only Mudkip♋

Jun 30, 2015
    Credits:
    Trophy
    bnwilliams
    don't pls. I don't want em to kill my friends! :eek:

6. Xashowd
    Batty

Xashowd Tree Puncher

Jun 9, 2016
    Credits:
    Xashowd
    I'll admit it worries me a little, since I'm not sure if I'm on enough to be considered a regular. I do try to pop on at least once a month, sometimes more, but I'll admit I'm not daily or weekly. Still, Mineplay is my best Minecraft experience since my laptop lags much more in single-player and thus I can't play it well outside of Mineplay. So I hope I'm regular enough that I could have my stuff moved over to the new world, mainly my Arctic Base Plot and Mesa Outpost Plot since I've spent a good deal of work on them and most of my stuff is in those two claimed plots (and outside of a small basement section with some chests in the Arctic Base, everything is above ground). As long as I can carry over those two zones into similar areas (Ice Plains Spikes and Mesa respectively) I'll be fine. Never been part of a world reset here, so it'll be new to me in general.

7. Maginka
    Caffeine Fix

Jul 29, 2011
    Credits:
    Maginka
    Folks, all i will say, is dont panic ;)

I am well aware of the time and effort taken in your builds, and the thought of loosing them, well, its not good i know.

If and when the time comes, you will all get plenty of notice, and I and the staff will be on hand to help you move, so, dont worry.

I am considering other options at the moment, including talks with my hosts, so until you hear anything from me, Carry on as normal.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. Chrydin
    Cloud_9

Chrydin Diamond Miner

Nov 19, 2015
    Credits:
    Chrydin
    Hey guys! The poll officially closes tomorrow, what are your thoughts about the reset?

How do you expect or like it to happen?

I definitely think it went smooth last reset so there shouldn't be much issues but I'd like to know everyone's opinion.

9. Emily
    Pensive

Dec 15, 2014
    Credits:
    EmilyC2
    It's a lot of work and we don't gain much that we don't already have; not really necessary right now.

Personally, I would rather not have a reset, for the following reasons:

• It is a lot of work on Mags' and the staff's ends.
    • We reset for 1.9 and there is really nothing special since then.
      • Woodland mansions would spawn 1 or 2 in the whole world and someone would claim them and that's it. Only 1 or 2 people benefit, much like all the villages and temples.
        • Mags can spawn one in and claim it for people to explore
      • Parrots can be spawned in
      • We have some chunks with polar bears and stuff already
    • We still have a ton of space, it's not like the last reset where there was no room for new players to build
    • Some people would lose builds
      • Underground stuff
      • Hard to move stuff
    • We can still craft all the new blocks, most aren't even created in world generation
    • Staff are perfectly capable of going around and removing old builds and claims of old/banned players

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lord_Rafox
    Paranoid

Lord_Rafox "Sherlock" Server Staff News Author

Sep 25, 2015
    Credits:
    Name colour - Light GreenTrophyIts an ElephantTrophy
    Lord_Rafox

I like your thoughts Em.

Few issues though.

Number 1.
    While you say we're perfectly capable of removing builds, to remove every single build made by every old/banned player on the world would be a bit hard and very time consuming. And those without W/E would have to do it by hand

Number 2.
    While I agree that we only reset recently (last year in fact), it shows just how quickly minecraft is updating. Leave it another year and we'll be what, 8 versions out of date, which is way too much.

Number 3.
    You saw the world is huge at the moment. That actually is a reason Mags wants to move worlds. The world as it is at the moment is too big, thus uses a lot of data, which could be used on other things. We don't get shed loads of people on Mineplay anyway, so do we really need all that space?

Have a think :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. JCPink
    Caffeine Fix

JCPink DemiGod Staff Member Server Staff

May 14, 2012
    Credits:
    Name colour - Light Green
    jcgreen
    Reset The World

Personally I think there should be a reset due to there may be space but everyone lives in towns so all the space isn't needed.
    We also won't be able to find every old claim, you can try if you want Emily to find them but it is a large open world that was expanded so we had room to build.
    And if it's work for Mags' thats ashame and I wish I could help more but the job as staff surely is to help the players moving worlds and shouldn't be complained about being hard work for it isn't, as I used to do that before I was staff.
    Personally I also like to find my own Parrots, also no one can find Illusioners as they can't be spawned without commands so it would be nice to go out there and find a new working woodland mansion and actually have a good use for a cartogropher.
    Most people as well would also seem to like going out and exploring a new fresh world to make new builds, sure some wouldn't want their old one to go and as staff it is our job to decide if that build is good enough to be copied over or not and that would be helping them, if it's an awkward build like a mountain base then they can make a new better and different one.

12. Chrydin
    Cloud_9

Chrydin Diamond Miner

Nov 19, 2015
    Credits:
    Chrydin
    There's a lot of issues with world resets correlated to version updates. Biome updates will keep coming eventually and resets will to based on this (pattern?)
    I
    However, in retrospect not everyone likes to start all over. By this I mean while half of the server might appriciate it other half, perhaps not.

Another point is the size of the survival server. It's probably around 20gbs ( increasing everyday) and to migrate or transfer the file (the survival server) would take years with the internet speed mags has (not a insult, I get 8mbps T.T) thus reset might be healthy? But eventually moving things by world edit has its limits like Emily said. Plus last time I checked and my opinion truly but it kinda leans towards not wanting to build on builds that was transferred for me as the environment changes (e.g : block height) thus looking deformed and it doesn't look so pleasant. Unless you build on a completely flat surface but it kinda kills the fun. Although some may disagree which I can understand.

Conclusion is, if reset were to happen, I'd rather have it happen now because I'm not really building anything since my build is based on the biome structure to some extent and it kinda makes me wonder if reset would have similar impact on me and well as others

13. Emily
    Pensive

Dec 15, 2014
    Credits:
    EmilyC2
    Well it's official, after much deliberation, it has been decided we will NOT have a world reset for 1.12.

As stated earlier, moving worlds is a lot of work on the end of the staff and particularly Maginka, and the entire process never goes quite as smoothly as expected. Between trying to save inventories/enderchests, moving massive builds to another world, and trying to get everyone moved into the proper world, we experience lots of bugs, glitches, and just issues in general. World resets are actually a lot of work (no, I'm not just being lazy ;)), and 1.9 wasn't so easy nor would be 1.12. We have discussed it, and feel there are not enough major additions as to justify and necessitate a reset.

We will eventually reset, after one of the future updates, although no promises yet as to which one. It will all depend upon the state of our current world, changes to world generation, etc. We will cross that bridge when we come to it.

Now, all that being said, we also understand that many players would enjoy a fresh new world to explore, and it is way cooler to find stuff naturally than have it spawned in. To satisfy this, there will be a brand new resource world opening up very soon!

The resource world will be much like the current End and Nether, in that there is no claiming and you are not meant to build a base. Inventories will be shared across this and the survival world, allowing everyone to bring back supplies and loot they may find. The resource world will of course be 1.12, so expect to see Woodland Mansions, wild parrots, and much more! It can be reset as often as we see fit, to ensure there will always be clean terrain, untouched mansions/temples/dungeons, and beautiful biomes for everyone to enjoy! Again, this will be available sometime in the near future, so stay tuned! :)

Thank you to everyone who voted and replied to this thread, your thoughts were considered and we hope everyone is happy with the decisions made. Ultimately, we feel this will be best for everyone, staff, owner, and players alike. Feel free to ask any questions you might have, and be sure to spread the word to anyone who has not yet heard the "verdict." :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chrydin
    Cloud_9

Chrydin Diamond Miner

Nov 19, 2015
    Credits:
    Chrydin
    That works.

15. Maginka
    Caffeine Fix

Jul 29, 2011
    Credits:
    Maginka
    Thank you Emily for the Post, well written, i couldn't of done it better myself.

So, moving forward, carry on building, its business as usual.

16. Chrydin
    Cloud_9

Chrydin Diamond Miner

Nov 19, 2015
    Credits:
    Chrydin
    Atta girl - Ron Swanson

17. Xashowd
    Batty

Xashowd Tree Puncher

Jun 9, 2016
    Credits:
    Xashowd
    Sounds good to me. Fastbeat and I were busy prepping, trying to make things as simple as possible in case of move, but glad to know we don't have to worry just yet. Maybe I can find a Mushroom Island Biome in the Resource World...No word on if one is in the Survival World atm.

18. Emily
    Pensive

Dec 15, 2014
    Credits:
    EmilyC2
    Yeah I'm also really glad we don't have to move, getting my entire town moved across would've been a huge pain in the butt! I happen to know there are several mushroom islands in the survival world, although I couldn't even begin to tell you where anymore. I just know I've flown over at least 3. Guess you'll just have to keep looking ;)